Summer Fruit Coffee Cake
The best coffee cake with a fruity twist!
- 3/4 cup - all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup - packed light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons - unsalted butter, at room temperature
- pinch - of salt
- 1 stick - butter, at room temperature, plus more, for the pan
- 2 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon - baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon - baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon - fine salt
- 1 cup - granulated sugar
- 2 large - eggs
- 2 tablespoons - vanilla extract
- 1 cup - sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups - fresh raspberries, cherries, plumbs, peaches diced up
- 3/4 cup - confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons - lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon - finely grated lemon zest
4 to 6
4 to 6
- FOR THE STREUSEL: Put the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter and mix thoroughly with your fingers or a fork until all of the butter has been evenly distributed and incorporated into the flour.
- Form into small to medium clumps with your fingers.
- FOR THE CAKE BATTER: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat together the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour, beating until just incorporated.
- Spoon half of the cake batter (it will be very thick) into the prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Sprinkle the raspberries on top. Spoon the remaining cake batter on top and smooth the top. Sprinkle on the crumb topping.
- Bake until the cake and topping are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Let cool in the pan 20 minutes, then invert onto a plate; invert back onto a rack to cool completely.
- FOR THE GLAZE: When the cake is cool, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice and zest in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake and let set.