A light and simple strawberry coffee cake!
- 1/2 cup - softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup - Plus 1 Tbsp. Granulated sugar, divided
- 2 - Large egg yolks
- 1 - Large egg
- 1 1/2 cups - All-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons - Baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon - Salt
- 1/2 cup - Whole milk
- 1 cup - Sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup - Sliced almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon - Ground cinnamon
6 to 8
6 to 8
- For the batter: Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat butter and 1 cup of the sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Add yolks and egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture in 5 additions, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat on low speed just until blended after each addition. Transfer batter to a greased (with butter) and floured 9-inch round cake pan.
- Arrange sliced strawberries in an even layer over top of batter, and sprinkle evenly with sliced almonds. Sprinkle ground cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar evenly over strawberries.
- Bake in preheated oven until browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack until room temperature, about 20 minutes, or serve warm.