Rhubarb Compote Cake
Our rhubarb cake is soft, moist, and flavorful. Packed full of rhubarb and apples, topped with oats & sugar, so simple to make!
- 8 - stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 - apples - peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup - white sugar
- 1/4 cup - water
- 2/3 cup - white sugar
- 1/4 cup - butter
- 1 - egg
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup - milk
- 1 1/2 cups - all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons - baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon - salt
- 1 1/2 cups - rolled oats
- 1/2 cup - butter
- 1/2 cup - white sugar
- 1 teaspoon - ground cinnamon
8 to 10
8 to 10
- Combine rhubarb, apples, 1/2 cup white sugar, and water together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook and stir rhubarb mixture until rhubarb is tender and compote is thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Mix 2/3 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup butter, egg, and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Stir milk and stir into the sugar mixture.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Mix flour mixture into wet mixture until batter is just moistened; pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Spoon enough compote over cake to make about 1/2-inch-thick layer, reserving any leftover compote for another use.
- Stir oats, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup white sugar, and cinnamon together in a bowl until crumbly; sprinkle over compote layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes.