Fresh berries are the crowning glory of this not-too-sweet, but ultra-moist skillet cake.
Berry Skillet Cake
- 1/2 cup - butter
- 2 - eggs
- 1 cup - sour cream
- 1 teaspoon - vanilla
- 1 cup - sugar (and some Swedish sugar or Turbinado for sprinkling on top)
- 1 1/4 tablespoon - baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons - salt
- 1 1/3 cups - flour
- 1 cup - fresh berries (I love using raspberries and blueberries!)
4 to 8
4 to 8
- Melt butter in a skillet (cast iron is best) Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Pour the melted butter into a mixing bowl and add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Stir until well mixed and then beat in the 1 cup of sugar.
- Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a smaller bowl. Slowly mix in the dry to the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the 9 inch skillet that has been buttered with the melted butter in the first ingredient.
- Sprinkle red and blue berries over the batter.
- Sprinkle topping sugar over the cake and bake for 40 minutes or so until it springs back when touched in the middle. A toothpick should come out with a few moist crumbs. We serve this with homemade ice cream...you should too!