Bourbon-Boosted Applesauce: Simply Irresistible!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 pounds apples, peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 ounces Mississippi River Distilling Company bourbon or rye
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the butter to pot or large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter is melted, add the apples and brown sugar and stir.
- Cook the apples in the butter and brown sugar for 5 minutes until softened.
- Carefully pour in the bourbon (turn off the flame if you have a gas stove) stir, and simmer for 5 minutes to cook out the alcohol.
- Add the water, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Pour the applesauce into a large bowl and let cool slightly.
- Mash with a potato masher until you have the texture that you like.
- Let the applesauce cool to room temperature and then store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.